Welcome to the CJU website » LOG IN


Surgical technique for removal of tined lead for InterStim
Department of Urology, University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Aug  2017 (Vol.  24, Issue  4, Pages( 8918 - 8920)
PMID: 28832311


Text-Size + 


    We aimed to introduce our technique describing the removal of a chronic implanted tined-lead in patients with a sacral neuromodulator implant.


    We performed a retrospective review of patients who had chronic sacral neuromodulator (InterStim) implanted by a single surgeon from 2001 through 2015. This simple surgical technique was developed and successfully performed to remove the leads. Primary reasons for removal were elective due to poor symptoms control and failure to maintain response or lead migration. Patient demographics, indication for implantation, as well as installation and removal complications were recorded and analyzed.


    Twenty-five patients were included [mean age: 60.4 years (32-86), 17 females]. Primary indications for sacral nerve stimulation were overactive bladder in 16 (64%), mixed incontinence in 6 (24%), urinary retention in 2 (8%), and interstitial cystitis 3 (12%). Mean implant duration was 24.2 (0.5-90) months. The existing tined lead was removed and replaced in 11 (44%) patients while the remaining 14 (56%) underwent complete removal of the unit without subsequent replacement. Successful lead removal without complications was achieved in 24 (96%) patients.


    This minimally invasive technique is a simple, safe, and effective method of removing chronic implanted tined leads en bloc.